The theme of the 24th annual early childhood conference is "Together We Will Address Racial Equity in Early Childhood." Conference presenters will engage participants in meaningful discussion and share evidence-based tools and resources that ensure the health, education and well-being of families and children ages 0-5.
Walter S. Gilliam, Ph.D. of the Yale University Child Study Center will deliver the keynote address. Dr. Gilliam, director of the Edward Zigler Center in Child Development and Social Policy, will discuss "Preschool expulsions and suspensions, implicit bias, and what we need to do in the search for racial and gender equity."
Other highlights include sessions on:
- "Exploring Racial Equity through Personal Reflection,"
- "How to Achieve Health Equity,"
- "Addressing Racial Inequity through the Lens of the CHILD,"
- and "Relationships Matter for Young Children: Connecticut’s Early Childhood Consultation Partnerships."
Keynote Address: “Preschool expulsions and suspensions, implicit bias, and what we need to do in the search for racial and gender equity”
Keynote Speaker: Walter S. Gilliam, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Child Psychiatry and Psychology, Yale University Child Study Center, Director of the Edward Zigler Center in Child Development and Social Policy
Presenters: Ingrid M. Canady, SERC’s Executive Director; Andrew Grant-Thomas, co-founder of Embrace Race; Chin R. Reyes, Ph.D., associate research scientist at the Yale Child Study Center and Edward Zigler Center; Michele Stewart-Copes, CEO of SEET Consultants, LLC (System for Education Equity & Transition); and Wendy Waithe Simmons, Ph.D., Director of Development, Community Affairs and Equity at SERC.
Audience: Early Childhood General & Special Education Professionals Serving Children Birth through age 5, including Early Intervention, Home Care/Visitors, Family Support, Higher Education, and Mental Health & Social Work Professionals. Families/community welcome.
A collaborative effort among:
- CT Head Start Association
- CT Office of Early Childhood
- CT Department of Children and Families
- CT Department of Public Health
- CT Department of Social Services
- CT Division for Early Childhood
- CT Parent Advocacy Center
- CT State Department of Education
- State Education Resource Center